Monday, September 6, 2010

A Long Weekend

On Friday we were all packed and ready to leave for the lovely vacation home that the Hoolsema's gave us for the long weekend, however...I took Cash in to have his counts checked and right before we were going to leave, I decided to call and check on what his counts were and he needed blood...So Wendi took off to Birch Bay with Jack and Kingston while Cash and I pulled a long afternoon at Childrens'.  We finally got out of there at 6:30 and were at Birch Bay by 9:00 so it wasn't too bad.  The blood definitely helped Cash out - he had a lot more energy this weekend so it was definitely worth it.

Jack Jr.'s birthday was this weekend so we had two days of parties for him - the first on Saturday at the KOA with the VanderHoeks where he even had a pinata to smash.  The second party was at the vacation house on Sunday with the Parriera's.  We all had a great time and it was great that everyone got to visit with Cash.  The house that we were given for the weekend was absolutely amazing and so well designed that our family fit perfectly in it - if anyone wants a week or weekend retreat on the Bay, please visit www.rentwithusbirchbay.webs.com.  We are so thankful that we had the opportunity to get away at such a beautiful location - Thank you Hoolsema's!!!

Tomorrow Cash has surgery to remove his Hickman line and put the port in.  In addition we meet with the radiation oncologist to discuss the gamma knife procedure to hit the new spot in the temporal lobe.  We continue to pray that this tumor can be held at bay with the medicines he'll start receiving.

The support we continue to receive has been amazing - school starts at Zion on Wednesday and I have to be at work the next few days so my mom and Joanne are coming down to help out so I can continue to work.  This is just an upcoming example and if you've been reading the blog for some time I often thank those who will drop anything to babysit, take Cash to appointments, clean the house and make dinners, etc...

In addition to those who are helping us in Seattle, there are so many unsung heroes during this trial who are behind the scenes praying and supporting those who help us out.  Two people come to mind, Wendi's mom, Edna, is a prayer warrior for Cash and I know she never ceases to pray and prayer is what enables Cash to keep going throughout the days (p.s. Mom, sometimes it's ok to pray with your eyes open).  The other is Wendi's Aunt Betty, who takes care of Julie's kids as she faithfully comes to Seattle often, bringing meals and much needed support.

We want to thank everyone for their prayers and support, many continue to ask, "What can I do?"  The best thing you can do is pray - prayer is so essential and critical that you have no idea how it keeps Cash going and propels us to keep fighting through the power of the Spirit.  Keep praying because we need it and if Cash isn't on your fridge as a reminder, email me and we'll send you a pic!

-------------
Update on the Seattle Run of Hope:
I just checked the number of participants for the Walk/Run on October 3 and it's now to 46 people, up from 24 last week.  Wow it's going to be a great day for brain tumor research and your support of Cash's team is incredible!  I was hoping for 50 but we're already almost there - now I'm shooting for 75!  :-)

Have a blessed short weekend and I'll post multiple times this week as Cash has a lot going on.  Thank you for your prayers and support!!!

13 comments:

  1. I pray for Cash and your family often but would really like a picture of Cash for my fridge.Thank you and God bless all of you. My family and I will continue to pray for the miracle we are expecting.
    Cheryl
    3765 grandview rd.
    Ferndale 98248

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't know you personally but have been following your story from the very beginning. We admire your faith and courage so much! Cash is an amazing, brave little boy & we hope God will perform a miracle in his life!
    You are all in our prayers.
    Hugs, Dave, Trish, Jasey, Jevin, Sadie-Jane and Arien Anker

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - We'd love a picture for our fridge too :)
    PO Box 262 Sumas WA 98295
    Thanks,
    Trish Anker

    ReplyDelete
  4. We continue to pray daily for a miracle for Cash and strength for you all as you walk this hard, hard road that no parent should walk. We have the picture of Coleson and Cash at Children's as our screen saver so it reminds us to pray daily as we know how much those prayers uphold you all!
    Love,
    The Brink's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I continue to pray for you and your whole family. That God will give you the strength, that you would feel the presence of not only His love but the prayers of those who love Him and are praying for you! I HAVE a picture of Wendi and Cash on my fridge from the benefit and it is a great reminder. Just the other day in fact my daughter asked me who they were and it reminded me to say a prayer right then!

    On another note I hope the port goes well, it will be so much nicer for all of you. I had a port put in when I went through chemo and it does make it so much easier and for Cash it will be a lot easier to keep clean and just be able to get around more with it too. I will pray the removal of the hickman and insertion of the port goes smooth.

    always lifting you all up,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know you but I took care of your mom's mom at CHCC. I got to love your mom and dad over that time.

    I read your blog often. Your strength and faith reminds me how great God is! I just want you to know that our family is praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your unending faith and strength is amazing! You are such a wonderful family and we pray so often for you all and pray that God will give Cash the miracle that he needs. You always seems so strong and I am always in awe of that! I know you must have week moments with dealing with the hardships that you have, even if you don't want to talk about those moments, please know there are so many people praying for all of you and that will lift you up when you need it!!
    Amy DeMeyer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mollie and I are grateful for your family and pray for you all daily.

    Charlie Middlebrook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack, Michael, Kat and I would love a picture of your whole family -- we pray for you daily -- will keep the picture in our car (it's where we are together the most :) We love you and know there is a miracle in all of this. Thank you for your family. Many in my office read your blog and pray for you as well. Trying to schedule the run -- working on getting it coordinated with Michael's -- Love you much. Rox, Kat and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jack and Wendi,

    Thank you so much for sharing your trials and your faith through this blog. Your trust in God truly gives Him glory and my faith is encouraged by your response to the trials you are facing. We would love to have a picture for the fridge. We are all praying for Cash. Our kids love to watch the videos and see the pictures you post. They think he's the cutest.
    We will pray on.

    Wendy (Hensley)Tamminga

    the Tammingas
    9216 149th St. NW
    Gig Harbor, WA 98329

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very good resource for everybody that wants to read a good blog. Your blog was absolutely fantastic! Great deal of great information and this can be useful some or maybe the other way. Keep updating your blog, anticipating to get more detailed contents.

    vacation rental in barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  12. This web site Is Truly wonderful and amazing information maybe there is and looking so captivating.. I look and feel good to generally be here.. Keep sharing good things with buddies.. Thanks meant for sharing...

    Alquiler vacacional en Costa Brava

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog was absolutely fantastic! Great deal of great information and this can be useful some or maybe the other way. Keep updating your blog, anticipating getting more detailed contents.

    Villa Espagne

    ReplyDelete